That's one small step for a man, but a giant leap for mankind.
The eagle has landed. Finally, the US have arrived on the moon before the end of the decade, fulfilling Kennedy's dream and aspirations for his growing nation.
Places and Forms of Power
- Apollo 11 is the final success proving America’s preeminence in space. It shows the world their power.
- As a symbol of the USA’s power, the astronauts plant an American flag on the surface of the Moon, as if they were claiming this territory.
- It is the end of this space race. America has won this battle. They have a political supremacy since they beat the Soviets.
Space and Exchange
- The whole world is witnessing America’s success on the Moon. Every person with a TV is watching Neil Armstrong’s first steps on the Moon. It is a worldwide exchange.
- Every communication aspect is carefully thought and planned. The famous sentence « That’s one small step for a man… » was imagined before the mission. The plaque revealed with the names of the Apollo 1 crew as well as the flag planted on the surface of the Moon are symbols used to vehicle a certain image of the United States.
- It’s the ultimate space discovery. It’s the first time in human history that a person is walking on a surface that is not Earth.
Myths and Heroes
- What was before mere science fiction has now become real. Men have walked on the surface of another « planet ». The myth has finally been realized.
- Neil Armstrong instantly becomes a national hero because of his achievement.
- He still is today considered as a hero since his name is the first that pops into anyone’s mind when we say « astronaut ». He has become an icon for a whole generation and beyond.
The Idea of Progress
- Humans are now capable of conquering other worlds. The mission Apollo 11 shows that humans have now the technology to break free of their own planet. It is a great progress.
- Neil Armstrong said it was « the beginning of a new age » because to him, there is a « before » and an « after » Apollo 11. It opens up new possibilities for what was considered pure science fiction.