From the earth to the moon and around the moon
Apollo 8 is the first manned mission to have the moon as its destination. It was the last and full scale rehearsal before the successful Apollo 11 mission.
Places and Forms of Power
- The USA must hurry in the space race since they have learnt that the Soviets are almost ready to send a man on the Moon. The USA can’t afford to lose this battle against the enemy of the Cold War. They must show their power and succeed their mission.
Space and Exchange
- During that mission, an unexpected opportunity allows the 3 astronauts to take a shot of the earth rising above the lunar horizon. This photography would become a mythical picture of the 20th century. Everybody around the world would see it. It would be a great human exchange since it’s the first time humans see the Earth as it really is.
- It’s the first time in human history that people will actually go to the Moon. This is the discovery of a new space.
Myths and Heroes
- By achieving this perilous mission, the three astronauts become heroes since they are the first humans to see the Moon up close with their own eyes.
The Idea of Progress
- Kennedy’s challenge is almost done. Americans are now capable of going to the Moon. It represents a great progress for mankind. It also proves that the Americans have been capable or progressing in science and technology to achieve such a tour de force.