The Council of Elrond
In this video, you will discover how people must unite to fight a common threat. It shows how people can become heroes with just one decision. You will also continue witnessing the immense power of this ring.
Places and Forms of Power
- In this video extract, we can see the power of the ring. For the first time, it reveals its inner power and will through the sentences « One Ring to Rule Them All, One Ring to Find Them, One Ring to Find Them All and in the Darkness, Bind Them ».
- It shows that the only purpose of this ring is to control everything. It was not made for good and so, cannot be used for good, even with the best intentions.
- Aragorn has understood that and tells it to Boromir who wanted to « use it against the enemy »
- Each race shows its power with a weapon or a certain characteristic: sword for humans, bow for elves, ax for dwarves, magic for wizards and determination for hobbits. Each characteristic symbolizes the main power of each race.
- We are faced with the attractive power of the ring since Boromir is attracted by it the second he sees it. He walks to it without really controlling what he’s doing. Just like Sméagol killing Déagol or Frodo putting the ring back in his pocket without noticing it, we understand the immense power of the ring and how fast it can attract and deceive people.
Space and Exchange
- People « from distant lands »gather for a secret meeting in order to find a common decision to their common problem. In a certain way, it is just like the United Nations or G20 etc… It ressembles a political meeting. People don’t agree on certain things, have different point of views but exchange in order to find a solution together.
- In this short extract we are faced with very different populations: dwarves, elves, humans, hobbits, wizards. It shows the plurality of their world and the solution of their problem will come form a common alliance.
- « You will unite or you will fall » says Elrond. He explains that sometimes, exchange between populations is necessary in order to survive or to defeat the enemy.
- Finally, from the council emanates a Fellowship composed of people from all lands: 4 hobbits, 2 humans, a dwarf, an elf, a wizard. It shows that at certain times, people must share and exchange their knowledge and skills in order to defeat a common threat.
Myths and Heroes
- In this scene, the ring suddenly becomes real. It had been lost for hundreds of years and its story had become mythical for everyone. But here, it reappears and turns the myth into reality. We understand it through the sentence Boromir is pronouncing when he lays his eyes fr the first time on the ring: « So it is true… »
- Frodo becomes a hero in this scene. He is willing to sacrifice his security for the common good. He knows the journey will be perilous but he decides anyway to attempt it. Even if he doesn’t succeed, his decision and will are heroic.